Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

My faithful companion of 14 yrs, my Sharpei Leo, passed away unexpectedly

I want to make this post a tribute and paean to my dearest most faithful companion for 14 yrs, my beautiful brown Shar-pei Leo, who passed away suddenly on morning of July 3 2012, at around 10 am. His death was sudden and completely unexpected, and came without any warning nor indication of serious problems. Only thing i noticed was he had a fairly constant but low-level hoarse cough last few weeks prior to his passing, but otherwise Leo appeared fairly alert, happy and was eating normal right up to his last meal the night before his passing.

As I write this post i am still in a bit of shock over the death of my true and only faithful constant companion. Leo was a well-adjusted even-tempered dog though a bit shy and preferred not to be hugged or petted. However, Leo loved me scratching his back close to his tailbone, and always loved sadling up next to me when i plopped down in my lawn chair so i could rub his back with my foot. He was a 60 pound well-muscled tanned-colored breed with a thin smooth covering of light brown hair. He like all shar-pei's had a good muff around his neck though not as pronounced as chows. He was described by most passerbys on his walks as a handsome Breed.

Leo loved to grab old rugs,towels and blankets, and shake them vigorously as if he was shaking some animal. In his prime he was an avid seeker of small backyard game such as opossums, cats, and rats, and unfortunateky he took out a few. Leo had a strong wide jaw which could grip & hold fast like a bulldog. I know that in tugs between him and me over ropes, bones and rags his jaw would clamp like a vise.

Leo was an integral part of my small 2-person household who shared our home for 14 yrs-he was family. I regret that i never gave him enough walking and exercise, though he had a whole yard to romp in. I regret that i took him for granted: he was always there when i came and went out of my house, never complained nor whined, and never caused any problems. He was spaded which took away incentives to escape and was likely why he tended to over-eat and took on too much weight as he aged-a possible factor in his untimely death.

I did take him for granted, not giving him the attention and constant loving and companionship he needed and craved. I wanted to put him in my truck and take him out to the park ot other places as my constant travel companion on my road trips but he was just too big to pack in my truck, and tying him down on my truck bed was impractical for long trips to the beach or regional wilderness park. I did walk him around my local neighborhood and nearby park 1-2 times a week. I regret that i did not provide enough travel and life experiences for him in his 14 yrs.

He is a major loss for me, my most faithful truest unfailing friend, an anchor and crutch for me in turbulent bad times, and a pychological safety valve for my own admittedly topsy-turvy life situation.

I feel lonely, as if a big hole has been blown in my life- a loss of a vital close family member. My home is suddenly cold and empty without Leo. I am by nature a loner and prefer solitude and the keyboard, so the loss of my beloved leo is so much harder to bear.






No comments: